Chief of Police
The Town of Haysi is now accepting employment applications for the position of Chief of Police.
Chief of Police Job Description
Essential Job Functions:
• Maintains public peace, protects life and property, enforces law, and conducts investigations according to departmental policies and with minimal supervision; performs specialized and involved tasks, and administrative duties, including investigation of complex incidents or criminal acts.
• Operates police vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order; responds to radio dispatches; answers calls and complaints; responds to major crime calls (robbery, rape, murder, maiming, burglary, etc.); performs foot patrols to serve as a deterrent to criminal activity and to enhance the department's Community Policing philosophy; investigates complaints and issues summonses or makes arrests; prepares detailed reports and maintains records.
• Detects and investigates crimes: conducts surveillance of individuals, vehicles, and locations; interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses; collects and identifies evidence and property; seizes contraband and/or evidence, maintains proper documentation and control of evidence or contraband, protects crime scenes; investigates traffic crashes.
• Apprehends and arrests suspects, using weapons when necessary; obtains, verifies, and executes arrest warrants; conducts high-risk felony vehicle stops; detains, searches, arrests and handcuffs persons, as required; subdues and disarms resisting or attacking persons; transports and handles prisoners.
• Prepares for and gives legal testimony; appears in court as a designated investigating officer.
• Ensures that all calls for service are answered and dealt with in a timely manner; serves as needed in a specialty area such as Field Training Officer, Instructor. Ensures that all Law Enforcement Training is maintained and kept up to date for all subordinates and that document for all training is maintained in proper files.
• Manages the Haysi Police Department directly under the Mayor, duties include hiring, assessing, disciplining and firing personnel.
• Maintains a healthy working environment for all personnel.
• Develops policies and procedures in line with the guidelines set by the Mayor and Town Council.
• Lead the day-to-day operations of the department by preparing reports, managing any complaints, and maintaining peace and order all over the town.
• Interprets codes, laws, and ordinances and uphold them at all times.
• Works closely with the Mayor for planning the annual budget(s) of the Police Department and other budgetary duties that may be required.
• Maintains an up to date Inventory of the Haysi Police Department Vehicles, Haysi Maintenance Department equipment and other town property.
• Develops programs that will prevent criminal activities within the scope of jurisdiction.
• Performs public relations duties and attends town council meetings.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Certification required.
• Preference will be given for applicants with over five years' experience in law enforcement.
• Must have valid driver's license
• Strong oral and written communication
• Budgeting and inventory
• Able to conduct training of police officers
• Able to lift at least 50 pounds
• Computer literate, technology familiarity a plus
• Grant writing and/or grant administration a plus
• Able to plan, organize, and administer a comprehensive police service program
• High-level of critical and analytical thinking
• Knowledge of police methods, administration and practices
• Knowledge of town and state codes, policies, protocols, ordinances, statutes, etc.
• Must pass the physical requirements of the state and background check
• Reliable in emergency call situations
Salary negotiable with a Comprehensive Range of Benefits including a Sign-On Bonus.
The Town of Haysi is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The Town of Haysi makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and employment needs at the time.