Southwest Virginia Community College seeks an Accountant. This position will perform professional level accounting, budgeting, and management support to chief business officer. Ensures that all records are kept in an audit acceptable manner and according to Generally Accepted Accounting Policies and Procedures. Ensures that federal and state guidelines are followed. Reconciles Cardinal and College Funds (AIS). Prepares GAAP statements complying with GASB directives. Oversees business office operations of PeopleSoft versions 9.2 SIS systems and maintains GL interface setups, and all SIS setups/calendars. Performs the PeopleSoft enrollment cancellation process for unpaid tuition and fees per the official PeopleSoft SIS working calendar in collaboration with the Dean of Student Services.
**This position is eligible for a $2,000 signing bonus.**
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP).
- Knowledge of advanced accounting principles and competency in higher education accounting.
- Knowledge of grants accounting in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of the use of data processing techniques, including software programs, to maintain and control accounting records.
- Ability to understand, analyze, and apply accounting principles and methods as they relate to the college’s financial transactions.
- Ability to assemble, analyze, and prepare financial reports and statements.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet software.
- Ability to utilize front-line decision making skills in the areas of: monitoring grant expenditures; auditing daily & monthly financial input/output of Administrative Information System (AIS) and Commonwealth Accounting and Reporting System Cardinal; ensuring that financial transactions are made in accordance with GAAP requirements; maintaining and balancing College accounts on AIS; performing monthly reconciliation of AIS and Cardinal and making necessary adjusting entries; collecting, assembling and analyzing budget data; preparing year-end financial statements.
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethics and confidentiality in performance of all job duties.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree with major studies in accounting or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Appropriate experience in accounting functions and in applying accounting principles and practices in an area having responsibilities for federal funds accounting and financial statements.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience using Cardinal, AIS, and/or SIS.