School Board Attorney
RUSSELL COUNTY SCHOOLS
NOTICE OF VACANCY
Position: School Board Attorney
Qualifications: Applicant must be licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and have at least five years of demonstrated experience in school or local government law, have knowledge of contract, public employment, real estate, administrative and civil rights laws, have personal and professional integrity and strong oral and written communications skills.
Roles and Responsibilities: The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; work may differ, and other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate.
• Attends and provides legal advice at regular and special meetings of the Russell County School Board and committees therof
• Provides legal assistance in the drafting of legal documents, policies, rules and regulations, resolutions, and all other legal or quasi-legal papers upon request and prepares and/or reviews contracts as requested
• Advises the School Board and the Superintendent in all matters of a legal or technical nature relating to the interpretation of statues, ordinances, and contracts; monitors and reviews changes in public school law; and advises the School Board and the Superintendent regarding legislative changes and necessary School Board and/or administrative action
• Serves as legal representative of the School Board, its members, and/or staff in any judicial or administrative proceedings brought by or against the School Board, as appropriate; prepares and renders oral and/or written legal opinions upon request to the Superintendent and to the School Board
• Advises the School Board on the sale, lease or other disposition of excess real property and provides legal assistance and advice concerning the acquisition or disposition of real estate
• Prepares resolutions, deeds, leases, and conveyances, obligations and other legal instruments relating to the business of the School Board, and conducts such correspondence therewith as may be necessary or as may be requested by the School Board
Salary: Based on experience
Closing of applications: December 1, 2023
The Russell County School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer.