Water and Wastewater Crew Member I
WATER / WASTEWATER CREW MEMBER I
Primary Duties: Under direct supervision, performs work in the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of BVU’s water and sewer lines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of water and sewer mains for customers.
- Assists with repair and maintenance of water and sewer pump stations.
- Assists in performing basic records maintenance of work performed.
- Assists in performing proper shoring of trenches and safety practices.
- Learns to operate equipment such as backhoe, dump truck, front end loader, jet truck rodder, and trencher.
- Assists in digging and backfilling trenches.
- Learns to make skilled fittings and connections.
- Learns to maintain pressure-reducing stations.
- Learns to install and repair fire hydrants and valves.
- Assists with removal and replacement of asphalt or concrete pavement in streets and sidewalks over sewer and water ditches, as well as re-landscaping yards after construction or repair of lines.
- Learns to change out small water meters.
- Assists with elevation changes to water meter boxes, valve boxes, water and sewer lines, and sewer utility access holes and/or covers.
- Assists department with proper care and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
- Promotes good employee and department relations by working and communicating well with other departments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of materials and equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of water and sewer lines.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have the ability to promote and maintain good customer and employee relations.
Required Education, Training, & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent (required).
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is preferred but not required. Must be able to obtain CDL Class A with tanker endorsement within 12 months of employment.
- Some construction and/or maintenance of water distribution and wastewater collection systems experience is ideal for this entry-level position.
- Ongoing training will be provided as necessitated by developments in water and wastewater distribution systems, safety trainings, equipment, etc.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Duties are performed outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Incumbent is subject to being called out to perform repairs or restore water services anytime during the night and may work in extremely cold weather.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, climb and perform all other physical movements necessary to the job’s essential functions.
- Must be able to move quickly over difficult terrain.
- Work schedule may vary Monday – Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or Tuesday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Travel is limited.
How to Apply:
- Online Application: https://www.bvua.com/prospective-employees/pages/available-positions
- Mail, fax or email a resume to BVU Authority, Attention Human Resources, P. O. Box 8100, Bristol, Virginia 24203-8100, Fax No. (276) 642-2020, email email@example.com.
- Applicants must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug and alcohol test, and background check. BVU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Review of applications/resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.