Underground Facilities Locator
BVU Authority is seeking an Underground Facilities Locator. This position reports to the Water Resources and GIS Director.
Position Summary. The Underground Facilities Locator will identify and mark BVU Authority’s underground facilities (electric, water, and wastewater) by referencing utility maps, prints, aerial imagery and using specific locating equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive Miss Utility tickets on a daily basis, schedule, locate, and mark BVU Underground Facilities (electric, water, and sewer).
- Notify Miss Utility, via the internet, on a daily basis, that facilities have been marked or located.
- Respond quickly to Emergency Locates (electric, water, and sewer).
- Assist BVU crews in locating underground facilities.
- Meet with excavators, as required, to assist with facilities marking, identification, and location/depth.
- Read and understand utility maps, prints, and aerial imagery to assist in identifying underground facilities.
- Prioritize work activities by reviewing all locate requests to determine travel route and timelines.
- Operate handheld detection equipment in the designed manner.
- Periodically remove and replace manhole lids weighing between 100- and 300-pounds, using a manhole cover removal tool.
- Mark the location of underground facilities on roadways, private property, and other locations, as appropriate and needed, using required spray paints, flags, and other equipment.
- Accurately and consistently wear safety gear and operate safety equipment provided.
- Daily contact with utility managers, crews, homeowners, and contractors discussing locate issues.
- Review existing or incoming data for currency, accuracy, usefulness, quality, and completeness of documentation.
- Convert data collected from field operations into GIS database with proper and accurate spatial location.
- Operate handheld GPS units in the designed manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must be able to distinguish between utility color codes (American Public Works Association Uniform Color Codes for temporary marking of underground utilities) used to identify existing underground utilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Virginia Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act.
- Demonstrate understanding of BVU Authority’s utility system.
- Demonstrate good time management skills to plan and accomplish assigned workload.
- Must have solid verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work independently and professionally in a diverse and stressful environment.
- Complete and document work activities using a laptop computer and transmit completed tickets on a timely basis to the company's mainframe.
- Good communication skills with managers, contractors, utility representatives, and homeowners.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum of one year experience in operating underground locating equipment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, drive extensively, and get in and out of the vehicle repeatedly.
- Annual required training through Virginia 811.
- Ongoing training will be required as necessitated by equipment, safety, and software developments.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Duties are performed both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, climb, and perform all other physical movements necessary to the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to work in all types of terrain and hazards (grass, gravel, ditches, etc.), all types of environments (construction sites, highways, industrial, private property, etc.) and all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to periodically lift up to 100 pounds.
- Work on-call hours and some overnight travel, as needed.