Journey Lineworker (Class A or B)
BVU Authority (BVU) has an opening for two Journey Lineworkers (Class A or B).
The primary duty of this position is to perform a variety of tasks associated with the installation, operation, repair, and maintenance of BVU’s electrical power transmission, substations, and distribution systems. The position will work under close supervision of a Foreman and general supervision of the Manager of Electric Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets poles and anchors, install cross-arms, insulators, lightning arresters, conductors, and other hardware.
- Hangs transformers and cutouts, connect transformer banks, and builds transformer platforms.
- Helps maintain and install substation equipment.
- Assists in maintenance of distribution network and 69 kV transmission systems.
- Installs, disconnects, and replaces service wires, connects load metering equipment.
- Installs and maintains underground wiring systems, both primary and secondary voltages.
- Works with wire stringing and tensioning equipment.
- Constructs, removes, and repairs all facilities necessary to extend service to customers' premises (special needs).
- Performs maintenance on traffic signals and re-lamping street lights.
- Locates and clears trouble in primary and secondary lines and associated equipment.
- Sets, removes, and turns on or off electric meters on customers' premises.
- Sets street lighting and private area lighting, and maintains these services.
- Operates heavy equipment (digger truck, pole truck, bucket truck, etc.).
- Participates in regularly scheduled safety meetings and training programs.
- Promotes good employee and department relations.
Underground Electrical Operation:
- Able to use radar unit ( thumper) to locate faults in URD cable
- Able to use radar unit to perform “hi-pot” cable test
- Able to use phasing sticks to perform “hi-pot” cable test
- Able to isolate underground fault, ground faulted cable, re-route feed
- Able to read underground maps and perform switching procedures
- Able to read and understand cable tagging for underground cable
- Attain basic working knowledge of underground network system
- Able to bank load, and take breaker out of service, replace breaker
- Able to remove, install, and change out voltage regulator
- Able to assist in all other line crew related functions in substation
- Capable of locating underground fault in most cases without instruction
- Capable of troubleshooting and correcting outage in most cases without instruction
- Capable of prioritizing multiple outages, in order to restore the most customers first
- Capable of safeguarding self, other employees, and public during electrical emergencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of methods, materials and tools used in electrical distribution and transmission system maintenance work.
- Knowledge and skill to perform required duties in construction and maintenance of distribution/service lines; operate bucket and derrick trucks.
- Basic knowledge of the principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems and ability to apply this knowledge to work situations.
- Knowledge and skill to perform first aid techniques, CPR, and pole top rescue.
- Knowledge of and ability to follow proper methods, procedures, and safety precautions of line work.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor.
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have 3-5 years’ recent experience as a Lineworker.
- Must have or obtain and maintain a valid commercial driver’s license.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Must demonstrate coordination or manual dexterity, physical strength, and visual acuity (specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, and be able to distinguish colors).
- Must demonstrate ability to work at heights for extended periods of time.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in confined spaces for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work on energized voltage lines of up to 13.2 kV.
- Must be able to work while wearing heavy protective clothing and other equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, extreme weather conditions, high voltage work areas and extreme heights.
- Must be able to move across terrain which may be rough and difficult to traverse.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule and subject to call out and/or call-back.
- Must reside within 15 miles from BVU’s building (to be able to respond to any outage while in on-call status).
- Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, climb and perform all other physical movements necessary to the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Travel is limited.
- For internal job posting, employees interested in applying for this position should complete an application for posted job (application available in Administration offices), notify their supervisor, and then email a resume to email@example.com. A resume or similar document with your skills and work history is preferred.
- For external job posting, applicants interested in applying for this position should complete an employment application (found on our website at https://www.bvua.com/prospective-employees/pages/available-positions) and then mail, fax or email the completed application and resume to BVU Authority, Attention Human Resources, P. O. Box 8100, Bristol, Virginia 24203-8100, Fax No. (276) 642-2020, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications/resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug/alcohol screening, background check and MVR.
BVU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.